Known around the world for its impressive biodiversity and ecosystems, the Corcovado National Park is not only wild but one of the most popular for tourists visiting Costa Rica.
Created in 1975, this historic park is in a remote area of southern Costa Rica so with no crowds, allows for better wildlife watching. Rare and endangered animals such as tapirs, pumas, herds of collard and white-lipped peccaries, anteaters, venomous snakes, poisonous frogs, crocodiles, and even hammerhead and bull sharks are at home here in the Corcovado.
The most common mammals to be seen are the four species of monkeys (squirrel, white face capuchin, spider and howler), sloths, coatis and agoutis as well as an impressive variety of birds including toucans, scarlet macaw, hawks, woodpeckers, tanagers, trogons, parrots, parakeets, kites, fruit bats and hummingbirds.
In this two-full-days, overnight excursion, you will venture into the wonders of nature while hiking between 20 and 40 kilometers (depending on your itinerary) in partial shade and mostly flat terrain, parallel to the pristine beach of a large primary and secondary rainforest. The night will be spent at Sirena Ranger Station.
Depending on the weather, tide, moon and season there is always something fascinating to see on this wild adventure.
Sirena Ranger Station provides:
- Rustic lodging in the wild rainforest
- Twin bunk beds with mattress, bed sheets, pillow and mosquito net
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner (upon reservation)
- Snacks for purchase
- Bathrooms with toilet paper
- Potable water
- Shower with soap dispenser
- Souvenir Shop
- Light inside the installations (turned off at 8:00 PM)
- Electrical outlets to charge your electric devices
- Internet WiFi (weak signal)
There are many itineraries available to enter and exit the park. See the tabs Option 1 to 4 for all the details. The most commons access points for a 2-day expedition are as follows:
- La Leona – Sirena – La Leona (flat 37 km and broken 2 km topography: total 39 km) Option 1
- Sirena (flat and slightly broken topography: flexible 5 to 30 km) Option 2
- La Leona – Sirena – Drake Bay (flat and slightly broken topography: total +/- 30 km) Option 3
- Puerto Jimenez – Sirena – La Leona (flat and slightly broken topography: total +/- 30 km) Option 3
- Drake Bay – Sirena – Los Patos (flat & slightly broken 25 km and broken topography 10 km: total +/- 35 km) Option 4
- La Leona – Sirena – Los Patos (flat 34.5 km and broken 10 km topography: total 44.5 km)